Ren'Py 7.6.0 "To Boldly Go"
was released on May 14, 2023.
The main downloads of Ren'Py 7.6.0 are:
You only need to download one of these files. Each contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, with everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for the Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms; the Ren'Py tutorial; and "The Question", an example game.
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Additional Downloads. When necessary, the Ren'Py SDK will automatically download additional packages, such as text editors and Android/iOS support. These packages are available for direct download at the bottom of this page.
I'm happy to announce Ren'Py 7.6, a feature release that retains support for
Python 2.7. This release is intended to support games that do not support
Python 3 yet, and plan to release before May 2024.
Ren'Py 8.1 and Ren'Py 7.6 are a joint release that add improved
documentation, fixes, and many new features to Ren'Py. Some of the
new features are:
- Ren'Py Sync, an easy way to synchronize save games between computers,
phones, and the web.
- A built-in way for displaying character dialogue in speech bubbles,
including an interactive editor for positioning the bubbles.
- Ren'Py 8-only support for progressive web apps, including features like
installing on a device and caching data locally.
- Apple Silicon support.
- Sticky layers, such that an image tag remains associated with a layer
until it's hidden.
- Detached layers, that are displayables themselves.
- Support for displaying AVIF images.
- Support for displaying SVG images.
- Support for oversampled images, which can be used to upgrade a game
to a higher resolution.
- Support for AV1 video on PC and Mobile platforms, with web support
depending on browser support.
- A rewritten audio mixing system that works on a per-sample basis,
allowing for smoother fadeouts and removing clicks.
- Volume sliders that work in decibels, and hence are more responsive.
- Viewports that can be dragged on touch screen devices, even if the
player is touching a button or bar.
- Support for _ren.py files, that allow Ren'Py script to be edited using
Python text editors (allowing for better completion of Python-heavy
- The use of lenticular brackets as a simpler syntax for ruby text (furigana).
- The ability to substitute text before self-voicing is performed, allowing
pronunciation to be changed.
- A new warning that reminds people that it's insecure to load saves from
people you do not fully trust.
- New transform properties that control rotation on the 3D Stage.
As well as many more new features, improvements, fixes, and a dark theme
for the documentation.
Note: This release moves the android keys to a per-project location.
While Ren'Py will automatically move the keys, you should make a backup
of rapt/android.keystore and rapt/bundle.keystore before upgrading.
Downloads of Ren'Py 7.6.0 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:
Please also check out the credits and
list of sponsors.
Support for Python 2 and Ren'Py 7 will be dropped 1 year after Ren'Py 8.1 is
released, in May 2024.
Ren'Py 7.6.0 is brought to you by:
- Adam Trzypolski
- Clinton Nguyen
- Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier
- Jeremy Rand
- Julian Uy
- Mal Graty
- Oscar Six
- Sandra "Maxi" Molina
- Totally a booplicate
- Vadim Karpenko
- Valery Iwanofu
everyone who's tested this release, and myself, Tom "PyTom" Rothamel.
When first asked to edit a file, the Ren'Py launcher will prompt you to download and
install an editor. As this may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, the
editors can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the editor
archive to the Ren'Py directory.
VS Code: Editor,
Ren'Py Language extension.
To use a VS Code installed outside Ren'Py, select the "Visual Studio Code (System)" editor.
Android and iOS Support
When building Android packages, iOS packages, or web distributions, Ren'Py will prompt you to download
RAPT (Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool), Renios (Ren'Py iOS Support), or Renpyweb (Web Platform Support).
As these downloads may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, these packages
can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the
archive to the Ren'Py directory. (Place the "rapt", "renios", or "web" directory into the "renpy-7.6.0"
- Android Support (RAPT): renpy-7.6.0-rapt.zip
- iOS Support (Renios): renpy-7.6.0-renios.zip
- Web Platform Support (Renpyweb): renpy-7.6.0-web.zip
- Ren'Py Source Code: renpy-7.6.0-source.tar.bz2
- Contains the source code of the Ren'Py distribution without any binary components.
- Pygame_SDL2 Source Code: pygame_sdl2-2.1.0-for-renpy-7.6.0.tar.gz
- Contains the source code for the version of pygame_sdl2 required to run this version of Ren'Py. This may be newer than any released version of pygame_sdl2.
- Other Dependencies: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/license.html
- Ren'Py contains free software licensed under a number of licenses, including the GNU Lesser
General Public License. A full list of software and links to git repositories from which the software
can be downloaded is linked above.
- Checksums: checksums.txt
- Checksums for the various files making up the Ren'Py distribution.
We also maintain a complete list of releases.