Ren'Py 7.5.1 "Heck's Getting Frosty"
was released on July 8, 2022.
The main downloads of Ren'Py 7.5.1 are:
You only need to download one of these files. Each contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, with everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for the Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms; the Ren'Py tutorial; and "The Question", an example game.
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Additional Downloads. When necessary, the Ren'Py SDK will automatically download additional packages, such as text editors and Android/iOS support. These packages are available for direct download at the bottom of this page.
Release History and Updates
This release fixes multiple issues with Ren'Py 7.5.0, including one that
prevented upgrading from Ren'Py 7.4 when Steam support was installed.
This release also includes a new Ukrainian translation of the
I'd like to announce Ren'Py 7.5.0. This release is a continuation of the
Ren'Py 7 series, supporting Python 2.7 and all platforms Ren'Py 7.4 supported,
while bringing you many of the new features of Ren'Py 8.0.
Ren'Py 8.0 and Ren'Py 7.5 are the first in what is planned to be a joint
series of releases. Ren'Py 8.0:
- Adds support for Python 3, which is recommended for all new games.
- Removes support for 32-bit Windows and Linux.
- Temporarily removes support for the web platform, to be added back in a
- Continues support for Python 2.7, to allow current games to release.
- Improves support for the web platform, including:
- Workarounds for changes introduced by web browsers that caused the browser
to consume more memory when running Ren'Py, resulting in RangeErrors.
- Detecting if the audio types supported by your game are available,
and falling back if they are.
Ren'Py 8.0 and 7.5 are released in parallel, and share the same source code,
which means the bulk of changes apply to both versions, including:
- Support for the Visual Studio Code text editor, including the Ren'Py
Language extension. This extension include support for many advanced
including live diagnostics and an outline. It also allows access
to many other Visual Studio Code extensions.
- The new dismiss and nearrect displayables provide support for
pop-up tooltips and drop-down menus.
- A rewritten wrapper for Steamworks that supports the full API. This allows
for Steam Deck integration, including automatically setting a "steam_deck"
variant and displaying the on-screen keyboard.
- Improvements to how graphics work on Android and iOS, improving compatibility
with those devices.
- Over 140 issues - a mix of fixes and feature requests - have been addressed
in this release.
For a full list of what's changed in Ren'Py 8.0 and 7.5, see the changelog.
These releases are brought to you by:
- Daniel Luque
- Jacob Kauffmann
- Joshua Fehler
- Julian Uy
- Lari Liuhamo
- Liu Wenyuan
- Mal Graty
- Matias B.
- Matt George
- Raj Singh Chauhan
- Rob Colton
- Totally a Booplicate
everyone who's tested these releases, and myself, Tom "PyTom" Rothamel.
Downloads of Ren'Py 7.5.1 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:
Please also check out the credits and
list of sponsors.
When first asked to edit a file, the Ren'Py launcher will prompt you to download and
install an editor. As this may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, the
editors can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the editor
archive to the Ren'Py directory.
VS Code: Editor,
Ren'Py Language extension.
To use a VS Code installed outside Ren'Py, select the "Visual Studio Code (System)" editor.
- Atom (Windows): renpy-7.5.1-atom-windows.zip
- Atom (Mac): renpy-7.5.1-atom-mac.zip
- Atom (Linux): renpy-7.5.1-atom-linux.tar.bz2
Android and iOS Support
When building Android packages, iOS packages, or web distributions, Ren'Py will prompt you to download
RAPT (Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool), Renios (Ren'Py iOS Support), or Renpyweb (Web Platform Support).
As these downloads may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, these packages
can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the
archive to the Ren'Py directory. (Place the "rapt", "renios", or "web" directory into the "renpy-7.5.1"
- Android Support (RAPT): renpy-7.5.1-rapt.zip
- iOS Support (Renios): renpy-7.5.1-renios.zip
- Web Platform Support (Renpyweb): renpy-7.5.1-web.zip
- Ren'Py Source Code: renpy-7.5.1-source.tar.bz2
- Contains the source code of the Ren'Py distribution without any binary components.
- Pygame_SDL2 Source Code: pygame_sdl2-2.1.0-for-renpy-7.5.1.tar.gz
- Contains the source code for the version of pygame_sdl2 required to run this version of Ren'Py. This may be newer than any released version of pygame_sdl2.
- Other Dependencies: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/license.html
- Ren'Py contains free software licensed under a number of licenses, including the GNU Lesser
General Public License. A full list of software and links to git repositories from which the software
can be downloaded is linked above.
- Checksums: checksums.txt
- Checksums for the various files making up the Ren'Py distribution.
We also maintain a complete list of releases.