Ren'Py 6.17 "In This Decade..."
was released on February 20, 2014.
It was updated to 6.17.7 on July 6, 2014.
The main downloads of Ren'Py 6.17 are:
You only need to download one of these three files. Each contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, with everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for Windows XP and up, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, and Linux x86/x86_64. The development environment contains the files needed to produce games for all three platforms, the Ren'Py tutorial, and "The Question", an example game.
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Additional Downloads. When necessary, the Ren'Py SDK will automatically download additional packages, such as text editors and Android/iOS support. These packages are available for direct download at the bottom of this page.
Release History and Updates
- 22.214.171.1241: July 6, 2014
- This release updates the Android SDK to a working version, adds a low-level
in-app purchasing framework, and fixes an issue with movie playback on
- 126.96.36.1992: May 7, 2014
- This release adds new German and Korean translations, and works around
a bug that prevented the Ren'Py launcher from starting on certain macs.
- 188.8.131.522: May 1, 2014
- This release adds a new Arabic translation, and updates the Japanese and
Spanish translations. It also fixes several bugs affecting the shift+R
reload functionality, and provides several new features.
- 184.108.40.2069: April 16, 2014
- This release fixes problems with Android (especially ones caused by a missing
play licensing library), adds support for the Amazon Fire TV console, allows imagemaps
in viewports, and prevents large memory leaks from occurring when shift+R is pressed.
- 220.127.116.117: March 4, 2014
- This release fixes a bug where Ren'Py would misparse properties and
attributes that began with a Python operator. (For example, insensitive,
which begins with in.) It also rewrites the missing image code to use
styles and screens.
- 18.104.22.1689: February 28, 2014
- This release adds a new "translate <i>language</i> style <i>style_name</i>"
statement, which is used to customize styles in a particular language. It
also improves scanning the projects directory and fixes various other
- 22.214.171.1249: February 24, 2014
- This release fixes a problem where an update could overwrite a file in
the RAPT directory, preventing builds. It also updates and improves
translations, and deals gracefully with improperly encoded files in
the projects directory.
As we reach the tenth anniversary of the start of Ren'Py development,
I'm pleased to announce Ren'Py 6.17 "In This Decade...". Major improvements
in this release include:
- A rewrite of the Style system that should improve Ren'Py's performance.
- A new style statement that makes it easier to define styles.
- A rewritten shift+I style inspector lets you view those styles.
- A new "show layer" statement that makes it convenient to apply transforms
and ATL transforms to entire layers at once.
- A new "window auto" statement that enables automatic management of the
- Several other syntax improvements.
- French and Russian translations.
- The integration of RAPT (the Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool) with the
Ren'Py SDK. Ren'Py now downloads RAPT using the Ren'Py updater - it's
no longer necessary to download RAPT separately.
This release also includes several other new functions and actions, and
major bugfixes that affect the Android platform.
This release has been brought to you by:
- Koichi "vbkaisetsu" Akabe
- CensoredUsername (C)
- Daniel Luque
- Tom "PyTom" Rothamel
Downloads of Ren'Py 6.17 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:
Please also check out the credits and
list of sponsors.
When building an Android package, the Ren'Py launcher will prompt you to download and
install RAPT, the Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool. As this may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, the
packages can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the
archive to the Ren'Py directory. (Place the "rapt" directory into the "renpy-6.17.7" directory.)
- RAPT: renpy-6.17.7-rapt.zip