Ren'Py 6.16 "In the Arena"
was released on November 6, 2013.
It was updated to 6.16.5 on December 17, 2013.
The main downloads of Ren'Py 6.16 are:
You only need to download one of these three files. Each contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, with everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for Windows XP and up, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, and Linux x86/x86_64. The development environment contains the files needed to produce games for all three platforms, the Ren'Py tutorial, and "The Question", an example game.
To package a Ren'Py game for Android, please use RAPT - the Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool. RAPT can be downloaded here, and is documented in the Ren'Py Documentation.
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Additional Downloads. When first used, Ren'Py will prompt you to download a text editor. An Internet connection is required for this download.
Release History and Updates
- 220.127.116.115: December 17, 2013
- This release adds back a missing file that is required to launch jEdit.
- 18.104.22.1684: December 16, 2013
- This release fixed Android building support, the Replay function, and
the scanning of save games. It also includes a number of improvements
to the documentation.
- 22.214.171.1242: November 29, 2013
- This release fixes a problem that could cause excessive texture memory
usage. It also improves Android support in several ways, making it
possible for Ren'Py games to appear in the tablet section of Google Play.
- 126.96.36.1990: November 21, 2013
- This release adds new Spanish translations of the launcher and template
game. It adds a new function that gets the mouse position, and fixes
bugs, typos, and usability flaws in the launcher and Ren'Py proper.
- 188.8.131.529: November 9, 2013
- This release includes a number of bug fixes related to translation and
running in non-ASCII directories, including a fix to the updater. It
also includes documentation improvements.
On behalf of the Ren'Py team, I'm pleased to announce Ren'Py 6.16 "In the
Arena". This release brings with it:
- Improved Android support, including the ability to build APKs from the
launcher, support for Expansion APKs, and support for televison-based
consoles like the OUYA.
- The ability to associate JSON information with a save file, and access
that information in the load and save screens.
- Save file synchronization when Ren'Py is run from a shared directory.
- Support for a creator dumping the text of the game script, and for
automatically playing appropriately-named voice files.
- Improvements to the gallery (including a new navigation overlay) and the
music room (such as shuffle, loop, and single-track toggles.)
- A Japanese translation of the launcher, template, and documentation.
As well as a number of minor improvements and bugfixes.
This release has been brought to you by:
- Koichi "vbkaisetsu" Akabe
- Daniel Luque
- Tom "PyTom" Rothamel
With thanks to antoinentx for improving support for international
directories, and everyone who contributed ideas, bug reports, and feedback
to Ren'Py development.
Downloads of Ren'Py 6.16 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at: