Ren'Py 6.12.1 "Human Factor"
was released on May 02, 2011.
The main downloads of Ren'Py 6.12.1 are:
You only need to download one of these three files. Each contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, with everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for Windows XP and up, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, and Linux x86. The development environment contains the files needed to produce games for all three platforms, the Ren'Py tutorial, and "The Question", an example game.
To package a Ren'Py game for Android, please use RAPT - the Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool. RAPT can be downloaded here, and is documented in the Ren'Py Documentation.
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Java Requirement. Java is required to run the jEdit text editor. If it's not installed on your computer, you'll need to download it from java.com. Java is not required to run Ren'Py, only to develop with it.
Release History and Updates
- 22.214.171.1240: June 23, 2011
A major bugfix release, including:
- Fixed a problem with texture upload that made games noticeably slower.
- A better default size for windows on small monitors, like netbooks.
- xfill and yfill now work for vbox and hbox, respectively.
- Click-to-continue fixes.
- Side image fixes.
- 126.96.36.1992: May 16, 2011
- Compatibility fixes for Android. This release only consisted of
new versions of Ren'Py for Android and renpy-apk. If you're only
developing for desktop platforms, there's no need to update
- 188.8.131.521: May 04, 2011
- Updated release. Mistakes were made in the update release process, leading
to a version of Ren'Py that could not switch between windowed and fullscreen
modes. (Among other problems.) Those problems have been fixed.
- 184.108.40.2060: May 03, 2011
- Updated release. This fixes a bug that prevented Ren'Py from running on
systems with very old ATI drivers.
- 220.127.116.119: May 02, 2011
- Final release. Fixes a bug with screenshots.
- 18.104.22.1687: April 30, 2011
- Fixes display of exceptions during init code. Allows the contents of
viewports to be displayed by the shift+I style inspector. Populates
config.archives in ascii order.
- 22.214.171.1243: April 24, 2011
- Bug fixes involving say with image attributes.
Added config.say_attribute_transition as a way to invoke a transition
when the image is changed by a say with image attributes, in response
to feedback from the first users of the feature.
- 126.96.36.1997: April 24, 2011
- First public pre-release.
Ren'Py 6.12.1 "Human Factor" is the first of a series of minor releases
focusing on improving the experience of visual novel makers. This release
features several improvements to the process of showing images:
- Image attributes make it no longer necessary to specify every part
of a changed image.
- The say statement can change image attributes when a character speaks.
- Side images can be specified with the image statement, and can be used
with NVL-mode dialogue.
- Sticky transforms allow a transform to continue through an image change.
As these new features can change the behavior of existing games, it may be
convenient to disable them for in-development projects. Please see the list of
incompatible changes for instructions on how to do this.
The other major improvement is in error handling. Where previous versions of
Ren'Py would terminate on errors, 6.12.1 will display a screen that allows the
maker to edit problematic files and reload the game, and the user to rollback or
ignore the problem.
Ren'Py 6.12.1 also includes many other minor features and bug fixes, please
see the full changelog for more details.
Downloads of Ren'Py 6.12.1 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at: