Download Ren'Py 6.16
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes.
It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Ren'Py 6.16 "In the Arena" was released on November 6, 2013. It was updated to 6.16.3 on November 29, 2013. The main distributions are:
You only need to download one of these three files. Each of these files contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, containing everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for Windows XP and up, Mac OS X 10.4 and up, and Linux x86/x86_64. The development environment contains the files needed to produce games for all three platforms, the Ren'Py tutorial, and "The Question", an example game.
Additional Downloads. When first used, Ren'Py will prompt you to download a text editor. An Internet connection is required for this download.
Release History and Updates
- 22.214.171.1242: November 29, 2013
- This release fixes a problem that could cause excessive texture memory usage. It also improves Android support in several ways, making it possible for Ren'Py games to appear in the tablet section of Google Play.
- 126.96.36.1990: November 21, 2013
- This release adds new Spanish translations of the launcher and template game. It adds a new function that gets the mouse position, and fixes bugs, typos, and usability flaws in the launcher and Ren'Py proper.
- 188.8.131.529: November 9, 2013
- This release includes a number of bug fixes related to translation and running in non-ASCII directories, including a fix to the updater. It also includes documentation improvements.
On behalf of the Ren'Py team, I'm pleased to announce Ren'Py 6.16 "In the Arena". This release brings with it:
- Improved Android support, including the ability to build APKs from the launcher, support for Expansion APKs, and support for televison-based consoles like the OUYA.
- The ability to associate JSON information with a save file, and access that information in the load and save screens.
- Save file synchronization when Ren'Py is run from a shared directory.
- Support for a creator dumping the text of the game script, and for automatically playing appropriately-named voice files.
- Improvements to the gallery (including a new navigation overlay) and the music room (such as shuffle, loop, and single-track toggles.)
- A Japanese translation of the launcher, template, and documentation.
As well as a number of minor improvements and bugfixes.
This release has been brought to you by:
- Koichi "vbkaisetsu" Akabe
- Daniel Luque
- Tom "PyTom" Rothamel
With thanks to antoinentx for improving support for international directories, and everyone who contributed ideas, bug reports, and feedback to Ren'Py development.
Downloads of 6.16 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:
When first asked to edit a file, the Ren'Py launcher will prompt you to download and install an editor. As this may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, the editors can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the editor archive to the Ren'Py directory.
- Source Code: renpy-6.16.3-source.tar.bz2
- Contains the source code of the Ren'Py distribution without any binary components.
- Dependencies: renpy-deps-6.15.5.tar.bz2
- Contains source code for the libraries that Ren'Py depends on.
We also maintain a complete list of releases.