This page is out of date
You've reached a page on the Ren'Py wiki. Due to massive spam, the wiki hasn't
been updated in over 5 years, and much of the information here is
very out of date.
We've kept it because some of it is of historic interest, but all the
information relevant to modern versions of Ren'Py has been moved elsewhere.
Some places to look are:
Please do not create new links to this page.
Building a Windows Installer using NSIS
To build a Windows installer using NSIS, please perform the following steps:
- Download the latest version of NSIS from its web site, and install it.
- Create README.txt and LICENSE.txt files for your game, and place them in your game's base directory. (The directory containing the game/ directory.)
- Build the distributions using the Ren'Py Launcher, and then unzip the windows distribution.
- Download Media:installer.nsi, and place it in the unzipped windows directory. (The directory containing yourgame.exe.
- Edit installer.nsi, changing values as appropriate. You'll certainly want to change the EXE, INSTALLER_EXE, PRODUCT_NAME, PRODUCT_VERSION, PRODUCT_WEBSITE, and PRODUCT_PUBLISHER lines.
- Right-click on installer.nsi, and pick "Compile NSIS Script".
- NSIS will run, and assuming there are no errors, produce the installer. Be sure to test it before releasing.