From Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine
Welcome to the Ren'Py cookbook. Here, you will be able to find user-contributed recipes that allow you to accomplish common (and not-so-common) tasks with Ren'Py.
Please also take a look at the frameworks, which contain more complicated code to allow specific styles of games.
See also http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=51 , the forum equivalent of this wiki page.
Note that many of these are meant to accomplish specific tasks, and aren't very good examples of Ren'Py code that is used to write games.
- Animation and Transforms by Example Tutorial
- Springy movement - Adding bouncy motion to your Moves. (6.6.3)
- Setting Fullscreen
- Adding a Splashscreen before the Main Menu - (Updated 12/2013)
- A Simple Flash (Light Saturation) Effect
- Using a "Noise" Image Dissolve
- Implementing a Double Vision Effect - (2011/9/17)
- Shake Effect
- Animate Character Blinking And/Or Lip Flap
- Showing layered sprites with different emotions
- Particle Burst
- Static Noise Effect for Background and Foreground - (Updated 12/2013)
- Creating a more realistic snow effect (6.9.0)
- Turn an image into a silhouette
- Showing a loading image
- Using animated movies as backgrounds
- Customizing Menus Tutorial
- Imagebutton GUI Tutorial/Sample - A demo of how to make a GUI featuring animated buttons.
- Imagemap Screen Tutorial
- Creating an Information Screen (6.12+)
- Customizing Textbox Appearance
- Adding a simple Analog Clock - (Updated 12/2013)
- Adding a slightly-complicated Digital Calendar
- Timed menus - (Updated 12/2013)
- Center the main program window on startup
- Making adult scenes optional, by adding "Hentai Enabled/Disabled" to preferences
- Placing the speaking character's name above the text window
- RPG frame
- Tile Engine for Tile-Based Maps and Unit Engine for Turn-Based Games
- Simple Pie Menus
- In-game Messages
- Changing the Main Menu after completing the game
- Text History screen with voice replaying
- Adding a Custom Mouse Pointer
- Setting the Default Text Speed
- Setting Auto-Read Automatically
- Conditional Hyperlinks
- Custom text tags
- Good Looking Italics
- Automatically Defining Images - Making image definitions unnecessary
- Conditional Side Images - Creating state-controlled character side images (portraits)
- Letting images appear after a while
Sound and music
- Supporting Chinese or Japanese in Your Game (6.3.2)
- Multiple Language Support (6.9.3)
- Inputting information in a language other than English
- Convert text strings to kana
- Hangul (Korean alphabet) Inputter
- Reduce the size of a font file
- TinyPng - PNG Compression (Recommended)
- JCC - Jpeg Compression of Character Art (6.6.3)
- NSIS - Building a Windows installer using NSIS
- CG Gallery and Music Room
- Web Updater
- Inventory and Money Systems (6.9.3)
- Simple Onscreen Inventory - Can also be used to display money with adaptation to the code.
- Tips menu
- Unarchiving files from rpa
- Who's that? Changing character names during the game
- About this game - How to add a simple readme into the game
- Additional basic move profiles - A collection of extra basic motion profiles to spice up your Moves.
- Konami Code - Add the Konami Code to your game. Fairly easily adapted to other secret codes.
- Runtime init blocks - Initialize variables outside of init blocks in all files
- SVG color names - access more colors by name (more than 140 instead of just black)
- Import from Celtx
- Loading data from file (tested with 6.11.2)
- Making random choice with some outcomes more likely than others
Create a new Recipe
You can create a new recipe by filling out this form with the title of the recipe you want. You'll need to be able to edit wikicode. See Help:Editing for details on that, and Wiki:Style Guide for a list of things specific to this wiki.
When done, add this to this page by adding the wikicode:
*[[../New Recipe Name/]]
to one of the categories above.
If someone forgot to add a cookbook page, it will show up in the Cookbook Index. Please add it here.